Well, it is – now you now!
And, I am about to let you in on another little known fact: I love corn chips! When eating at home, my favorite is, far and away, Frito’s, the Scoops variety. And when I’m eating out, I can almost not get enough of the kind they serve at Mexican restaurants – Yum!
But if those don’t suit your fancy, believe me, there is a corn chip for everyone. Check this out: According to all-knowing Google, there are over 146 snacks in the corn chip category, made by at least 74 companies. And the variety is nothing short of astounding. In addition to my two favorites, which are plain in comparison, there are the following flavors:
- Barbeque, Honey Barbeque, Hot and Spicy Barbeque
- Bacon, Smoky Bacon, Pepper Bacon
- Cheesy, Cheesier, Extremely Cheesy, Cheese and Herb, Ham and Cheese, White Cheddar, Sweet and Salty Caramel Cheddar, Sweet and Salty Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Chicken and Corn, Sweet Corn
- Hot, Hot Buffalo, Hot Sauce, Flamin’ Hot, Hot!
- Chipotle, Jalapeno, Nacho, Picante, Salsa, Taco
- Chili, Chili Lemon, Lime, Lime Rice
- Garlic, Roasted Garlic, Garlic Toast
- No-Salt, Sea Salt
- Onion, Sour Cream and Onion, Zesty Onion
- Organic, Original, Truly Original, Pizza
- Ranch, Southwest Ranch
- Something called Chaos, and…
- Something called Overload!
And, of course, you can make your own, to ensure that they are Gluten Free. What? Corn chips aren’t naturally gluten free? Well, yes and no. Corn contains no gluten, but according to my research, one can never be too sure about gluten cross-contamination.
Now, as though that’s not enough variety, they can be prepared via baking, frying, popping, or roasting; they come in Blue, Red, White, and Yellow; and in the forms of crisps, puffs, ripples, rounds, twists, and let’s not forget bugles!
Why do I love corn chips so? I’m not sure. I guess I just am what I am. But, I was delighted that someone somewhere agreed with me enough to decree that there would be a National Corn Chip Day. Maybe next, it’ll be decreed a national holiday. Yum!